Hello there! 🙂
With the festive season in full-swing around us, most of us often find ourselves in a fix, wondering what to gift someone with! Well, while the tradition of giving and receiving gifts is a practise deeply rooted in the sands of time, one woe most of us face is gifting or being gifted with the same thing(s), year after year. Be it as dry-fruits, or a box of sweets from the locality’s confectioneer, it is almost as if we can guess the contents accurately by now, in each wrapped box!
But that said, I will admit that being told, “Oh My Goodness! This gift is amazing! Thank you!!!” is something that all of us want to hear. Well, if you genuinely want people to be that kind of happy because of your gift (whether or not they say it out loud! :P), you might want to read on.
Before I go on, though, I need to make something clear – I happen to be in the midst of a whole lot of gift-exchanges and planning for the upcoming ones. However, this post is NOT about festivals alone. You can use these for birthdays, anniversaries, marriages, graduations… pretty much Anywhere where gifts are involved!
These are simply things to remember and consider while picking a gift for someone the next time. These are not rules, but following these snippets have made a lot of people get sincere gratitude and compliments in the past.
So yes; while it is indeed a wonderful thing to be a part of the gift-exchanging excercise, here are a few things that I’ve seen expert gifters consider (while I keenly stood by and observed them over the years, I may add!), while picking gifts:
- Know thy receiver – While this might seem obvious (and slightly less applicable in the case of new acquaintances – in which case cliche gifts are completely acceptable, ok?) paying attention to the receiver’s latest interest or a mention of something they ‘WISH’ they had…. is pretty much a perfect gift, no matter what! 🙂
But to let you in on a little secret, the Utility of a gift to the receiver must be concidered too – because let’s face it, a one-year old can’t really do much with a beautiful bouquet of flowers except maybe take it apart… right? 😀
- When in doubt, go classic – Be it as handing down a family heirloom or buying something as classic as a string of pearls, if you’re gifting someone something that is aspirational for more reasons than one, you’re pretty safe. Yes; we’re talking about ties, jewellery, accessories, home-decor items, etc here.
- Get help – If you don’t know the receiver themselves well enough; but do know someone close to them who won’t spill the beans on you, ASK them! What’s the wordt thing that could happen? – You won’t get help. But, best case scenario, you’ll end up giving them a perfect gift 🙂
- Gift-cards – For those people whom you simply HAVE to get a gift, but don’t know of their likes or interests… or even for those who aren’t that close to get any real gifts from you; some Genius human being in the past has thought of this concept where you can pay in advance and let the receiver choose what they want from the store! Crazzzy riiiight? I know 😀
But jokes apart, rely on gift cards from mostly-all-encompassing stores and bazinga! You’re the new gifting Guru!
- The ultimate challenge – While I understand that this is a step most people DREAD to take, in some of my experiences – Asking People What They’d Like is a fantastic way to prevent going wrong. Agreed – a lot of good souls out there are going to reply modestly with “Oh Nothing! Thank you so much!” convincing them of how you are hell-bent on giving them the gift is going to be a great experience for you too! Moreover, if they refuse to listen, give them the ultimatum that if they don’t tell you themselves, you’ll pick for them and that may not go as well!
So there you go, folks! There are many more fine details to note in the art of good gifting, which are enough to fill a book in themselves and hence, have not been shared here. If you have, nonetheless managed to get a fairly good idea on things to consider while getting someone a gift or would like to know some more about giving the right gifts, let me know in the comments below; or at email@example.com
If you want to know more about this blog or blogger, follow YourEverydayFashionBlog on Instagram – @youreverydayfashionblog
Stay tuned for your dose of all things lifestyle and fashion.
Until next time!